Assistant General Manager - Affordable Housing
- US-NY-New York
- Property Management
- Manhattan Plaza
This Assistant General Manager (AGM) is, alongside the General Manager, responsible for overall day-to-day operations of our property, Manhattan Plaza, in New York, NY. This may include the supervision of office (including leasing or Resident Service Specialist, as appropriate) and maintenance functions in compliance with all company policies and procedures and all applicable Equal Employment Opportunity, Fair Housing and Human Rights statutes.
Manhattan Plaza consists of two 46-story high-rise towers and various townhomes totalling 1,689 residential units of federally-subsidized housing. Encompassing a full city block, the property also includes street level retail, a parking garage and fitness center. The property is centrally located at 400 West 43rd Street, just west of Times Square. Seventy percent of the property’s units are occupied by performing artists with the remaining balance occupied by seniors and low-income residents. For more information regarding the property click here. Click here to view Manhattan Plaza's Long-term Living Video.
The Assistant General Manager is responsible for the following:
- Work with General Manager to manage financial aspects of operations for the assigned property (or properties) that contribute to the company’s business goals. This includes assistance in preparation of property budgets, monthly asset reports, monthly financial change forms, and capital expenditure tracking among others.
- The AGM Will be the manager on call when the General Manager is not at the property.
- Aides in hiring, training and evaluation of leasing/office/maintenance staff, in conjunction with Maintenance Director and General Manager.
- Assist in the supervision of specific site program administration and ensures that sites are in compliance with brand standards including property presentation, marketing, apparel, etc.
- Resident/landlord relations, which include the management and resolution of customer service issues so that the longer the resident stays at the property, the more satisfied they become.
- Ensures compliance with all federal, state and local laws, specifically, Fair Housing regulations at site level.
- Special projects as assigned by General Manager, Senior Vice President, and senior leadership.
The tasks in the Assistant General Manager's area of responsibility include, but are not limited to, the following:
Accounts Receivable/Accounts Payable Tasks
- Familiar with all procedures and requirements of accounts payable and accounts receivable.
- Ensures site is compliant with company standards with regards to rent collection, including work with attorneys and collection agencies.
- Confirms timely compliance with all reporting deadlines, i.e., accounts payables/receivables to the Related Affordable East Office.
- Reviews/approves bad-debt write offs and invoice credit memos and makes recommendation to General Manager on appropriate action.
Marketing, Leasing and Administrative Tasks
- Coordinates with the Director of Maintenance and General Manager to oversee the smooth transition of apartment turnovers.
- Ensures the understanding of and adherence to all EEO and Affirmative Action updates which include Fair Housing/Equal Housing, Section 504 Self Evaluation of the Rehabilitating Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act. Reports all requests for reasonable accommodations to the General Manager.
- Assists in the preparation of annual operating budgets. Along with the management team, responsible for staying within budgetary guidelines for items within one’s control. Assists the General Manager in ensuring that major budget items are completed as scheduled according to proper standards.
- Initiates and implements policies, procedures, forms, schedules and/or controls with the approval of the General Manager to properly manage the staff and physical plants.
- Along with Director of Security and General Manager, supervises appropriate building security measures, incident documentations and proper notifications of management, owners and/or insurance carriers where necessary.
- Assists General Manager with regular comparable site analysis
- Ensures that there is adequate coverage for the leasing office and maintenance at all times. This coverage may include 7 days a week, extended hours of operation or working on weekends, whichever method is appropriate.
- Controls vacancy losses through proactive suggestions and in-depth knowledge with local markets.
- Assists General Manager in ensuring that all site staff employees have access to necessary computer software and hardware by completing the IT Checklist.
- Oversees the Resident Service Specialists’ responsibility to facilitate sublease/surrender options.
Hiring, Training and Evaluations of Staff
- Approves all time sheets including O/T and temporary labor for submission to the regional office on a weekly basis (for corresponding direct reports).
- At General Manager’s direction, drafts disciplinary and/or probationary letters to site level personnel and provides comprehensive backup for the General Manager and Senior Vice President.
- Performs the initial screening and interview of all applicants and makes recommendation to General Manager for second round interviews.
- Engages with union when appropriate and after consulting with human resources. Actively participates in grievance and arbitration processes under the direction of General Manager and Human Resources
- Encourages site staff in completing Employee Engagement Survey. Works closely with General Manager to create and execute Action Plan for Employee Engagement.
- Hires, trains, and supervises seasonal amenity help.
- Schedules one evening per week to be available to meet and greet residents in the lobby area with Customer Service Manager.
Specific Site Program Administration Tasks
- Conducts a monthly roof-to-basement comprehensive inspections with Quality Control Agent and submits inspection form to General Manager.
- Assists in the completion of the monthly budget variance report.
- Assists in the completion of the monthly asset report.
- Maintains a continuous list of project needs and concerns, both administrative and regarding the physical plant.
- As needed, and when applicable, assures timely compliance in conjunction with the Affordable Housing Director with all responses to audits, whether generated for in-house use or required by federal, state or municipal agencies.
- Ensures adherence to site regulatory agreements.
- Leads the weekly triad meetings, ensures proper attendance, and submits minutes (the creation of which may be delegated) to General Manager on a weekly basis.
Resident/Landlord Relations Tasks
- Supervises Customer Service Manager. Ensures that Customer Service Manager is able to handle all resident complaints expeditiously, diplomatically and professionally.
- Confirms that residents are fully and properly notified of all issues that affect their residency.
- Thoroughly familiar with each site lease and enforces the House Rules and Regulations of the site as well as the Pet Agreements and Smoke Free Riders and any regulatory programs in place and documents significant violations of either. Attends court proceedings as required.
- Sets the example in establishing proper service mentality in all dealings with residents.
- Embodies “Expect more at home” service commitment in all interactions with residents.
- Reviews, prior to submission, newsletter and building-wide resident correspondence.
- Ensures execution, according Related standards, of resident events and partner offers.
- Ensures follow up to Resident Surveys for new and established residents.
Maintenance Operations Tasks
- At General Manager’s discretion, oversees proper preventive maintenance schedules and ensures adherence to the same. This includes facilitation of Permission to enter as needed by Maintenance.
- At General Manager’s discretion, works with Maintenance Director to ensure compliance with contracts regarding work being performed by third party contractors. Establishes RFP’s for major capital projects when directed to by General Manager.
- As assigned by the General Manager and Senior Vice President
- As assigned by General Manager, Senior Vice President, and senior ownership.
- Comprehensive Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, Disability & Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time Off & holidays
- Tuition reimbursement
- Robust modern fertility program
- Incentive bonus program
- Commuter benefits
- Free membership to the Manhattan Plaza Health Club
- Employee Assistance Program & more!
- Bachelor’s degree from four-year College or University; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Knowledge of project based section 8, LIHTC, and other affordable housing programs
- Strong leadership, organizational and administrative skills.
- Ability to manage a property as demonstrated by work experience including financial performance, customer service, communications, marketing, negotiation, crisis management, and staffing.
- Ability to analyze data/reports to develop solutions to sustain high standards of customer service, optimal revenue generation and effective expense management as demonstrated by business results in previous position.
- Ability to successfully resolve resident issues as demonstrated by work experience.
- Ability to negotiate and manage contracts with 3rd party service providers as demonstrated by previous work experience.
- Ability to supervise and develop employees and provide feedback and coaching to subordinates resulting in improved performance as demonstrated by experience in previous position.
- Ability to perform basic Microsoft Office applications such as Word and Excel.
- Experience with RealPage “OneSite” and JD Edwards (or similar software programs).
- Position will require periodic overtime including evenings and weekends; Hours will be mostly set but there is a reasonable expectation of flexibility of schedule.
Related Management Company (RMC) is the owner and operator of a premier portfolio of assets valued at over $60 billion. Our operating portfolio consists of a diversified mix of properties including luxury rental buildings, retail and commercial space, luxury condominium residences, affordable, and workforce housing located throughout the United States.
As the owner and developer for the majority of the RMC portfolio, we have ensured that our buildings are the best assets in their respective submarkets. We provide a diligently maintained property management platform with dedicated professionals who consistently exceeds our residents’ and commercial tenants’ expectations. Our dedication to providing the highest and most personalized level of service is one of the hallmarks of the company and a key differentiator in the market. For more please visit www.Related.com.
Related is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Not the right job for you?