Senior Design Project Manager
- 177 Milk Street
The in-house architecture and design team is the vital connection between development, construction, management, leasing, marketing and sales. Throughout all phases of a Related Beal project, the in-house architecture and design team manages a process that demands best in class design in architecture, interior design, and building mechanical systems. The Senior Design Project Manager is an integral member of the design team and shall oversee and lead all aspects of design project management. Together this team takes the lead on the selection process of the design consultant team, establishes agendas for design meetings, works with marketing to develop project briefs, and assist with marketing materials such as plans, renderings and project information. The design group manages the design process by sharing Related Beal design standards and leads the team to provide required deliverables that meet all milestone deadlines. The design group receives budgets and schedules from the development team to track the progress of each project; monitors construction administration and MEP coordination with the construction team; keeps property management informed of key decision milestones including selection of interior designers, and the approval of significant design items such as facades, kitchens and baths, lobbies and corridors. The Related Beal design team also supports the facility management team with FF&E coordination and installation as well as equipment commissioning at the completion of a project for final occupancy. This is sampling of the functions the in-house architecture and design team performs to ensure Related maintains its position as a market leader in innovative, financially rewarding, and environmentally conscious real estate development and operations.
The Sr. Design Project Manager shall oversee all aspects of the design process and design project management for Boston high-rise residential, hotel, office, and laboratory development projects. S/He will focus on the coordination of consultants’ work from pre-schematics through construction.
Design and Planning
- Extensive knowledge of Boston Zoning and Building Code
- Extensive hands on experience leading design architect, executive architect and consultant teams in producing the highest quality drawing sets
- Close collaboration with leasing and marketing group so that the sales/leasing objectives are achieved through design
- Close collaboration with building management group so that all supporting spaces and requirements for sound operational functions are achieved through design
- Knowledge of structural and mechanical systems
- Monitor the production of design drawings to ensure all relevant construction information is included and documented
- Coordinate presentations such that the extended team is informed of design progress
- Knowledge of how to assemble the right team of consultants in order to produce the highest quality product
- Issue RFPs, produce leveling documents, and make recommendations that connect the right skill set with the project demands
- Establish and negotiate consultant fees
- Establish, review and comment on all deliverables
- Manage consultants budgets and discern the need and request additional scope work
- Prepare consultant contracts with in-house counsel
- Track and approve invoices based on consultant deliverables
- Develop and maintain deliverable schedules
- Collaborate closely with other Related groups so that documents are delivered and evaluated within the timelines established
- Capable of identifying any discrepancies between deliverables and constantly evolving project objectives
- Identify and maintain any timelines that are related to the Department of Building or any other government agency
- Conduct regular coordination meetings involving Related consultants so that information is shared and dialogue is constant
- Establish agendas for design meetings, track action steps and administer follow up
- Take minutes at all meetings and keep track of attendees’ input
- Knowledge of construction sequencing, materials and methods
- Must be able to attend meetings with construction trades to clarify and/or direct any in-field design decisions
- Minimum of 15 - 20 years of relevant experience
- Experience managing a large team of highly skilled architects and design consultants
- Strong project management skills, results-driven, adaptable with ability to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines
- Must have Boston residential high rise experience
- Knowledge of mechanical and electrical systems
- Extensive construction/field experience
- Creative and innovative problem-solver
- Complex thinker of very high intelligence
- Strategic thinker with a keen understanding of value creation
- Ability to think as easily at both 60,000 feet and at the granular level.
- Naturally thinks and acts like an owner
- Superior interpersonal skills:
- Ease in working with people up and down the organization hierarchy
- Naturally adaptive to different audiences
- Diplomatically assertive
- Ability to properly assess critical issues and develop proper solutions balancing aesthetic, functional, schedule and budget constraints.
- Strong sense of integrity and ethics, values entrepreneurialism, demonstrates strong intellectual curiosity, always seeking new approaches and challenging the organization to new levels of success
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Undergraduate degree required, with a degree in Architecture a must
Please note that Related has adopted a COVID-19 vaccination policy to safeguard the health and well-being of our employees. As a condition of employment, Related employees working on-site are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved or as otherwise required by law.
Related Companies is an equal opportunity employer.
Related Beal, the Boston office of Related Companies, is a fully integrated real estate firm focused on development and investment opportunities in Boston and the surrounding region. Related Beal leverages a national real estate platform with expertise across all assets classes including life sciences, commercial office, hospitality, luxury/affordable/mixed use residential, brokerage and property management. Related Beal has undertaken the development and construction of some of the most recognized buildings in the area including The Clarendon and One Back Bay, The Arlington, The Beverly, Lovejoy Wharf, Congress Square, Innovation Square, Converse’s world headquarters, The Whitney Hotel and The Quinn/370-380 Harrison Avenue.
Related Beal’s corporate office is located at 177 Milk Street in Boston.
For more information about Related Beal, please visit http://www.relatedbeal.com/
Not the right job for you?