Area Maintenance Director (Luxury High-Rise Portfolio)
- US-NY-New York
- Commercial Engineering
- 423 West 55th Street
Under the direction of the Director of Engineering, portfolio is seeking an Engineer to provide oversight, direction and to effectively support 63 properties/18,379 units across multiple markets including Manhattan, DC, Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles and San Francisco. In compliance with all company policies, EEO & Fair housing requirements, the Engineer is to maintain a high level of quality and efficiency on all aspects of the maintenance & operations on a diversified set of assets within the Related Luxury portfolio. The work is to be accomplished utilizing the guidance & directives of Director of Engineering & assistance of-site based personnel.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities include the following.
- Available 24/7 to respond to after-hours emergencies (via phone)
- Provide after-hours guidance and technical assistance to site staff via telephone
- Travel to properties on short notice to respond to emergency situations
- Act as safety ambassador and promote a strong safety culture throughout the region
- Lead and participate in monthly safety education meetings, regionally or at property level; ensure all team members successfully complete required training
- Monitor the compliance of safe work practices and use of PPE in the field – use positive reinforcement to correct behavior
- Develop site specific emergency evacuation plans
- Activate and coordinate emergency response teams in the event of natural disasters or catastrophic loss events
- Holds minimum of OSHA 10 certification, or obtain within 90 days of hire
Procurement & Contracting:
- Work in conjunction with Procurement department to optimize negotiated relationships; ensure that site teams comply to the greatest extent
- Advise Procurement department of new products and services that will have beneficial impact in region, and potentially across all regions
- Negotiate outside vendor contracts for region, such as cleaning, landscaping, painting, flooring – monitor quality of services and correct work quality of vendors where needed
- Work with Maintenance Supervisors to understand inventory needs, optimum quantities and ordering frequencies and amounts; help find an inventory management system
- Expand the existing pool of contractors and third-party service providers
- Be able to concisely describe problematic physical conditions to non-technical team members
- Be able to speak on an equal technical level with contractors and design professionals when discussing existing conditions and proposed designs or solutions
- Communicate professionally and respectfully with all company associates, both in writing and conversation
- Communicate frequently with VP Engineering, Regional VP and Divisional Managers to keep them apprised of portfolio status.
- Works close with resident managers, who oversee a maintenance staff at each property
- Coach and mentor maintenance staff and resident managers, provide support on technical issues, and help them develop professionally and personally
- Encourage participation in ongoing education, and industry seminars and conferences
- With the General Manager and Regional Manager, participate in hiring personnel; administer maintenance tests, make recommendations on promotions and salary adjustments, and relocation of maintenance personnel
- When required, develop a performance workout plan for supervisors and technicians, and monitor and report on adherence to plan
- The Director of Engineering is part of broader team of peers and will be expected to present ideas during formal and informal ‘best practice’ planning sessions focused on improving operational efficiency
- Responsible for the overall maintenance direction, coordination, and evaluation of the region
- Support Senior Vice President with implementation of company maintenance initiatives
- Travel component is 50-75% on a monthly basis, including out-of-town overnight stays during the week; air travel is anticipated
- Travel may be required on short notice to respond to emergency situations
- Travel to properties based on specific needs/projects underway and as part of normal rotation to inspect/observe conditions and thoroughness/quality of operations
- May be called on to assist with due diligence/disposition efforts outside of designated region
- Understand and be able to use and interpret construction drawings, including architectural and mechanical, and construction manuals
- Base knowledge of high-rise construction, including super structure and exterior envelope/curtain wall systems
- Identify building defects, and propose suitable solutions/options, and approximation of costs
- Create detailed scopes of work for CapEx projects, manage competitive bidding process, identify qualified contractors, and manage project through to successful completion
- Supervise implementation of routine and special projects by site teams
- Experience with Yardi or other core property management software - able to create reports and analyze property performance metrics related to work order completion, turnover, and preventive maintenance.
- With the site and regional teams, develop and oversee a thorough preventive maintenance (PM) program to ensure that all building systems, elements and components are maintained and serviced according to industry standards and manufacturer requirements
- Inspect properties and insure that cleaning, grounds keeping, inventory control, and general maintenance is being performed according to company policies and procedures, and that the property has consistent excellent curb appeal
- Ensure that unit turnover is completed on-budget to a high quality in an efficient time-frame
- Provide technical assistance on maintenance-related items
- Work with Acquisition and Development teams on physical due diligence, provide estimates of operating cost; conduct plan review of building at design phase and make comment on layout that will enhance operations
- Assist with various groups on asset disposition plans
- Be a really good problem solver and creative thinker
- Frequent travel to sites.
- Must be willing to work various schedules.
- Must be accessible to respond to off-hour emergency situations
Related Management Company is the owner and operator of a premier portfolio of assets valued at over Sixty billion. Our operating portfolio consists of a diversified mix of properties including luxury rental buildings, retail and commercial space, luxury condominium residences, affordable, and workforce housing located throughout the United States.
As the owner and developer for the majority of the RMC portfolio, we have ensured that our buildings are the best assets in their respective submarkets. We provide a diligently maintained property management platform with dedicated professionals who consistently exceeds our residents’ and commercial tenants’ expectations. Our dedication to providing the highest and most personalized level of service is one of the hallmarks of the company and a key differentiator in the market. For more please visit www.Related.com.
Related is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Not the right job for you?