Senior Vice President, Affordable Property Management-West
- Accounting / Finance
- 18201 Von Karman Avenue
The SVP of Affordable Property Management-West is responsible for the effective and successful management of the affordable portfolio managed by Related Management Company (“RMC”) and owned by Related, consisting of 59 properties with approximately 7,000 residential units in California. Each of these properties is subject to one or more affordability programs, including, but not limited to the Project Based Section 8, Section 236 and Low-Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) programs. The successful candidate will be responsible for setting the strategic direction of the portfolio, while leading a team of high-level professionals to achieve established operational, financial and business performance goals. The successful candidate will also be responsible for establishing RMC as an affordable housing employer of choice and a differentiated operator of excellence. The position is strategic, financial and operational in nature and requires leading the development and standardization of comprehensive business plans, programs, initiatives, and strategies that promote the achievement of superior operational, financial, and business performance of the company. This position is based in Irvine, CA, and reports directly to the President and COO of RMC.
The Senior Vice President is directly responsible for the supervisory oversight, review and collaboration of two Regional Vice Presidents, each of whom oversee portfolios in either Southern or Northern California. There are approximately 180 people in the Affordable West organization overall.
- Design and implement an organizational structure and staffing model necessary to provide excellent service to the Affordable portfolio.
- Instill a sense of operational excellence, pride, and teamwork among all employees by establishing and executing on a vision and set of principles that drive all aspects of operations.
- Develop and cultivate working relationships with senior leaders at state and local regulatory agencies and HUD that oversee and regulate properties within the portfolio.
- Partner with Related owners and asset managers to cultivate a results-based and action-oriented client relationship.
- Establish a sustainable corporate cost structure that achieves economies of scale as the portfolio expands.
- Direct responsibility for the Management Company Affordable West P&L.
- Direct responsibility for portfolio property financial performance, including:
- Preparation of annual property budgets and achievement of the cash flows contained therein.
- Identification, budgeting, and successful achievement of appropriate capital projects at portfolio properties
- Identification, budgeting, and successful achievement of operating expense reduction initiatives through implementation of rigorous procurement initiatives.
- Work with corporate and regional affordable housing compliance teams to ensure site and portfolio level compliance with affordable housing program requirements (e.g., but not limited to, Project Based Section 8, Section 236, and LIHTC), and federal, state and local fair housings laws.
- Assure appropriate standardization of Best Practice processes across the entire portfolio to drive productivity and reduce operational risk.
- Collaborate with Human Resources and Organizational Development to identify training needs across the portfolio in order to achieve operational, financial, and business goals.
- Supervise and provide oversight of the implementation and maintenance of appropriate security and safety programs. Decrease incidents throughout the portfolio.
- Demonstrated success as a people-first leader, prioritizing the needs of your team and the clients we serve, as well as in staff development and team building.
- Extensive experience in managing, coaching and inspiring diverse teams.
- High-level presentation, written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong financial acumen; must understand the components driving P&L.
- Proven track record of process improvement and operating results in a matrixed organization.
- Able to create a culture of community, belonging and integrity where employees feel welcome to be their best selves.
- Minimum 10 years of affordable multifamily property management experience (including, at a minimum, at properties with Project Based Section 8, LIHTC, and multilayered affordability programs) or evident commitment to/ leadership within the affordable housing asset class.
- Bachelor's degree or greater from an accredited institution.
Please note that Related has adopted a COVID-19 vaccination policy to safeguard the health and well-being of our employees. As a condition of employment, Related employees working on-site are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved or as otherwise required by law.
Related Companies is an equal opportunity employer.
Related Companies is a global real estate and lifestyle company defined by innovation and the most prominent privately-owned real estate firm in the United States with over sixty billion in assets owned or under development including the 28-acre Hudson Yards neighborhood on Manhattan’s West Side, The Grand and Related Santa Clara in California and The 78 in Chicago. Formed over 45 years ago, Related is the largest private owner of affordable housing and a fully-integrated, highly diversified industry leader with experience in virtually every aspect of design, development, acquisitions, management, finance, hospitality, sustainability, and sales. Related’s mixed-use, residential and commercial office properties have been consistently heralded for their placemaking vision – bringing together iconic design, arts and culture, dynamic programming, and innovative wellness programs. Headquartered in New York City, Related has offices and major developments in Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, South Florida, Washington, D.C., Abu Dhabi and London, and boasts a team of approximately 4,000 professionals. Related was recently named to Fast Company Magazine’s list of the 50 Most Innovative Companies in the World. For more information about Related, please visit www.related.com.
Not the right job for you?